I was in need for something to blog; so I visited the random blog topic generator and was dumped with 'The Need For Love'.
My first thought when I got this topic was 'Do we even need love?' Is love something that we need as humans to function in our day to day life? In some ways, I think we do, and in some ways I think we don't.
I think without love, we'd all be depressing lunatics, crying ourselves to sleep each night. If the whole human race was without love, meaning we were all too depressed to function, the word would be a very very unhappy place.
But, is my summary of what life would be like without love strictly true? I think it probably is. I'd like to think we all have someone that loves us, or at least someone to love. Knowing this, is the main reason most of us bother to carry on living. It doesn't even have to be a person, we could have a love/passion for something, something that gives us reason to carry on with each waking day.
Though one could argue, that love is just an illusion. We tell ourselves we love someone, when it's mostly for selfish reasons. There's that saying 'if you love someone, you let them go'. It's very hard to let someone go, and we rarely seldom do; we just realize that they're gonna leave regardless of what I say or do, so hey I might as well pretend to be happy about it. I know that's a negative way of looking at it, but it's true. I do sometimes think that love is an illusion,I think that it's something we tell ourselves, and grow to believe.
I can't imagine ever loving someone truly that wasn't related to me. It seems impossible to me. I find the whole idea of meeting someone you've never met before, and suddenly realizing you want to spend the rest of your life with them... a little strange. Why? Because you 'love' them? What if you 'love' numerous people and want to spend the rest of your life with those numerous people? What happens then? Is it the person that we love, or is the idea of of having a family, the idea of spending the rest of your life with one person that we're in love with? That's what I often wonder with marriage.
I do believe in love, I don't believe love is as black and white and simple as people make it out to be. Love isn't as simple as 'wanting to die for them' or 'spending the rest of your life with them'. It's a lot more complicated than that, a lot deeper. I love a lot of people, but in so many different ways. Quite a few people tell me they love me, and I'm sure they do, but it's not the 'I would do anything for you' type of love. It's just knowing that a person makes you happy, and you know your life would be a lot less happy without them.
I think we do need love. As humans we need love, or the idea of love to survive. I sure do, even though I am still uncertain of what love is, and what it means. I know that the idea of love sure keeps me going.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Go on. Say what you think.