Pages

Friday, 15 April 2011

Howl's Moving Castle.

I have a bit of a Japanese obsession, it often comes and goes. On Thursday, it came back. I had an uncontrollable urge to watch Spirited Away, so I did. I quickly became engrossed in the images of the fantasy land the film possessed, and by the end of it. I was craving some more Hayao Miyazaki. I had seen Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away many times, so I thought I may as well try something new. I opted to watch Howl's Moving Castle. I'd be lying, if I said I didn't have high hopes for this film. It was by Mr Miyazaki. It just had to be good.

I decided to watch the thing on megavideo. You'd think after my terrible experience when watching Spirited Away on it, I'd find a better host, but I really couldn't be bothered.

Anyway, back to actually reviewing the film. It was a wonderful, glorious, romantic, heart wrenching experience. I hope I'm not over selling it, but it was. It was beautiful. I found myself loving ever character that was introduced.

Sophie, the main character is very likeable. Like most of Miyazaki's leading ladies she oozes inner strength and faces numerous undeserved trials and tribulations. She's just a young hat maker, with little self esteem. She certainly did not deserve to be turned into an old lady by a jealous witch. I found myself screaming with rage when this happened. (I do tend to get too into Miyazaki films).

Howl, is this beautiful wizard. He's unbelievably stunning. If you imagine him as a real person, it seems like he'd  be perfect. Additionally, the person voicing him in the english dub, had a beautiful voice (apparently it's Christian Bale) and was really able to emote wonderfully. Howl is a beautiful crafted, conflicted character. You can't help but love him.

There are other minor characters ranging from Calcifer to Markl.

Every character in the film all give it something special. It is truly a wonderful film. I don't want to ruin it. Because I'd feel terrible. However, it is definitely worth a watch, and unlike other Miyazaki films, none of the images are too distressing, and it has a lovely love story.  A love story done so innocently, you can't help but love it.


2 comments:

  1. I'm very tempted to watch this now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD. YOU SHOULD. IT'S AWESOME. <- My use of capital letters emphasizes this.

    ReplyDelete

Go on. Say what you think.